Marking the start of the Western Costa del Sol, Estepona is renowned for its beaches, which stretch for over 20km. Behind is the imposing peak of Los Reales de Sierra Bermeja which provide Estepona with a micro-climate, keeping it sunny for 325 days a year!
In the middle of the narrow stretch of coast that Estepona occupies, is its Marina. Filled with cafes and restaurants as well as busy bars by night, it is also still a functioning fishing port. It’s also a great place for sailing, diving and Jet Ski activities.
The main beach running alongside the town is “La Rada”, to the west is the popular Playa del Cristo and further west of this the nudist beach of Costa Natura.
La Rada at over 2km long is wide and spacious but also home to plenty of chiringuitos as well as backed by a pleasant beach front promenade, behind which is the old town and modern part of Estepona.
Playa del Cristo is home to two very popular chiringuitos, that not only offer great food but great entertainment too. A very well sheltered cove means El Cristo is also a popular spot for families.
Playa is a popular nudist beach, open to everyone complete with a beach bar and sunbeds for hire, and with (day access) to the Costa Natura Resort.
WHAT TO DO IN AND AROUND ESTEPONA
Estepona provides a wealth of activities, from art walks to mountain hikes! Its most recent addition is a botanical garden, “The Orchid House”. A beautiful glass dome building housing a wide variety of orchids as well as a spectacular waterfall, read more about on our blog here.
Estepona’s Route of Artistic Murals – Uniquely the town council of Estepona have commissioned a series of large scale public murals (over 20 to date) on buildings located in the lesser known areas of the town and includes Spains largest mural, entitled “Fishing Day”
The reddish peak behind Estepona, marks the start of the Sierra de Bermeja and offers a couple of fantastic walking routes, passing through an ancient and extremely rare “Pinsapo” pine forest and offering stunning views of the coast.
Selwo Safari Park is a popular African style safari park and is just a 10 minute drive from Estepona. Housing more than 2000 species of animals in semi-wild conditions spread over more than 100 hectares of land. Lions, Elephants, Tigers, Giraffes; all the big animals are here and day out at Selwo is a fun and great day out for all ages.
BARS AND NIGHTLIFE
There are numerous restaurants spread throughout Nueva Andalucía, offering an international and wide range of cuisines and price ranges, from Indian to American there is something for all tastes and budgets.
Minutes from Puerto Banús, 10 minutes from Marbella and 45 minutes from Malaga city, Nueva Andalucia is right in the middle of some of the Costa del Sol’s best tourist facilities and destinations.
• Puerto Banús Beach – OK, technically Puerto Banus rather than Nueva Andalcuia, however just a short drive or even walking distance from many parts of Nueva Andalucia, the beaches of Puerto Banus are one of the highlights of the area. Playa de Puerto Banus or Playa de Levante as it's also called, is located just to the east of Puerto Banus, where the town stops and the paseo maritimo starts. The most family friendly beach in Banus the water is shallow and child friendly and there is plenty of beach bars and cafes. The most famous beach in Puerto Banus, home to exclusive venues such as Ocean Club is the Playa Nueva Andalucia. Actually more a stretch of connected beaches, broken up into smaller, pleasant bays by breakwaters, it stretches from the western edge of Puerto Banus all the way through to San Pedro and is the beach to come to if you're looking for glitz and glamour!
• Puerto Banús Marina – As with the beach, technically Puerto Banus rather than Nueva Andalcuia. One of the key entertainment ports on the entire Costa del Sol, with bars, restaurants and nightlife galore not to mention celebrities, supercars and luxury yachts!
• Marbella Old Town – Marbella's historic centre, the "Casco Antiguo" is just a 10 minute drive away. Full of Andalucían charm and romance, with narrow cobbled streets, flower drenched houses with ornate balconies and an atmosphere and pace of life that makes you forget the hustle and bustle of Marbella. Plaza de Naranjos, or Orange Square is a tree lined square lined with cafes and restaurants whilst the narrow streets are home to artisan and craft shops, gourmet food shops, clothes shops as well as the obligatory tourist shops!
• La Cañada Shopping Centre - One of the largest shopping centres in the area. With all the major international stores present, such as Mango, Zara and even Marks & Spencer as well as plenty of fast-food places as well as a cinema, La Cañada is a great place for bored kids or just to while away a few hours.
• Manolo Santana Racquets Club – Created in the 1970’s by Spain’s legendary tennis player, the club offers much more than just Tennis lessons. Its spot at the bottom of the Istán road offers a leisurely place to relax or to take advantage of the many classes and activities on offer.
• Tarifa – Under an hour away, is the ultimate weekend getaway for Costa del Sol residents. Its endless, wide sandy beaches stretching alongside the turquoise Atlantic Ocean, offers a paradise of tranquility. Whether you want to camp, stay in ultra-chic boutique hotels or try your hand at kite and wind surfing, Tarifa is deservedly one of the most popular destinations in the area.
PROPERTY IN THE AREA
Estepona has a wide selection of property, from beachfront penthouses to villas or apartments in the beautiful green landscape around it.
TThere are still great opportunities in new developments around Estepona, such as these bargain apartments in a great golf location.
For holiday rentals, the best properties are of course on the frontline beach, such as this 3 bedroom apartment in Estepona, located right behind La Rada beach.
Property sales are booming in Nueva Andalucia, with properties such as this 2 bedroom apartment for sale and this 1 bedroom apartment available for long term rent, as well as the deserved reputation and popularity it’s not hard to see why!
To find out more about property for sale and to rent in Nueva Andalucia and to see our complete selection contact us today! and let the BestinSpain.net team find what you’re looking for in Estepona.